Skip to main content

tv   Anderson Cooper 360  CNN  August 9, 2012 4:00am-5:00am EDT

4:00 am
what they proposed doing is give governors more flexibility to tailor the program to their own states. these changes were requested by the republican governors of utah and nevada. what about this claim? >> if president obama didn't want people to think he was going to waive the central work requirement in welfare reform, his administration shouldn't have written a memo saying it was going to waive the work requirements and welfare reform. >> keeping them honest, here's the relevant portion from that very memo from the department of health and human services. "hhs will only consider approving waivers related to the work participation requirements that make changes intending to lead to more effective means of leaving the work goals." the administration isn't trying to waive the work requirement. they're trying to make it less bureaucratic and more effective, precisely what the republican governors have asked for. as you'll see later on in this
4:01 am
interview, newt gingrich makes a surprising admission. i spoke with the former presidential candidate just a short time ago. mr. speaker, this ad says, and i quote, under obama's plan, you wouldn't have to work and wouldn't have to train for a job. they just send you your welfare check. according to every nonpartisan fact checking organization, that's not true. president clinton signed the law, which you worked on as well, says that's not true. even ron haskins, who worked on the original law, said, quote, there's no plausible scenario under which this new policy constitutes any kind of serious attack on welfare reform. are they all wrong? >> robert rector, who was the original developer of welfare reform, worked with governor reagan and president reagan, he was the first person to come out aggressively and say, look, this will in the end gut welfare reform. his reasoning is straightforward. once you start allowing states -- this is why, by the way, the law itself does not permit waivers. the president actually could not
4:02 am
waive section 407, which says there can't be any waivers to the work requirement. so he fudged and found a way to get around it, which i suspect will turn out to be illegal. governor mcdonnell of virginia has come out and said he thinks this is clearly gutting welfare reform. the two governors the obama administration is hiding behind, the governor of utah and the governor of nevada have both come out and said that's not accurate. this is not what they wanted. this is not the flexibility they asked for. and i think this is going to become a genuine argument. those of us who favored welfare reform and worked hard to get it felt deeply, particularly in liberal states, if you didn't have some kind of strong requirement -- they used to have things like getting a massage counted. going through drug rehab counted as a work program. it's amazing the range of things prior to 1996 or 1996 that you could do and pretend they were work. >> this ad said under obama's plan you wouldn't have to work.
4:03 am
you wouldn't have to train for a job. they just send you your welfare check. there's no evidence of that at all. >> given this is the administration which has maximized the increase in dependency, maximized the number of people on food stamps, maximized the effort to get people to rely on the government, there's also no evidence that, once the waiver system is in place, that you could rely on this administration to defend work. there's no evidence -- >> it would be up to governors, as you just said, and according to governors themselves, that is not their intention. you talk about utah governor gary herbert's office put out a statement. they said, utah's request for a waiver stems from a stir for increased customization of the program to maximize employment among utah's welfare recipients. that's almost word for word what the hhs is saying. the hhs, acting assistant secretary of hhs said this is all about trying to create innovative strategies, flexibility, policies and procedures designed to improve employment outcomes for needy
4:04 am
families. they're basically saying the same thing, no? >> sure. and the question you have to ask yourself is given the track record of this particular secretary of health and human services, given the general somewhere between liberalism and radicalism of the obama appointees, and remembering that part of what led to the strong reaction on the par of a lot of conservatives and republicans, was this came out in the same 48-hour period was the president's famous speech that you didn't build it, that you aren't responsible as a small business owner for what you achieve. it's almost as though he was psychologically attacking work and achievement at the same time as he was shifting the regulations. candidly, this is not an administration that i think you're going to find any conservative give the benefit of the doubt to. >> but isn't this in line -- isn't this waiver idea in line with what you have proposed about innovative solutions at the state level, basically decentralizing power, putting it back in the hands of governors and the states? >> right. and this is one of the rare areas where, frankly, the reason
4:05 am
we wrote in that it could not be waived is that our experience had been that, when you allow liberals to do it, they will, in fact, create a dependency environment, and they will waive the work -- just go back and look at the kind of things really starting with lyndon johnson and then jimmy carter and expanding -- the kind of things that state welfare departments and liberal states were doing were absurdities. the whole thrust of the welfare reform was a function of the failure of those kinds of states as contrasted with governor tommy thompson in wisconsin or governor engel or governor levity, who had done a great job moving towards work fare despite the federal bias. >> under the wording of this ad, under obama's plan, you wouldn't have to work, you wouldn't have to train for a job. they just send you your welfare check. that's not saying we think this or worry about this, it's saying as a fact this will happen. that's just not supported by evidence. >> i think, if the ad makers had
4:06 am
asked me, i would have said this makes it possible would have been a good way to enter into what you said. >> you think the wording of the ad is not actually accurate, that it is too straightforward. >> i think that the ad does assert -- but this is a political ad. in 30 seconds you tend not to get all the various amendments and things. >> but accuracy is important. >> i'm here tonight supporting the idea. i believe absolutely that this administration, the obama administration is filled with people who do not believe in the work requirement, and this is -- as you yourself pointed out, even when bill clinton agreed to sign the bill, half the democrats in the house, 101 representatives voted no. barack obama himself was opposed to it as a state senator in illinois. there was a huge defense of dependency without work. so you say to me, do i think all those people who oppose the bill would probably try to gut it if they get a chance? of course i do. >> if you were running this ad, you would change the wording in the ad to at least say i worry
4:07 am
about this or based on what i believe about the president, i think he will do this? >> if i were running the ad, it would be a much tougher ad because i start by saying, as the leading food stamp president in american history and the person who has increased american dependency more than anyone else in modern times and a guy who has failed totally with child poverty. remember, with the clinton-gingrich welfare plan, child poverty went down by 25%. the largest decline in child poverty was because we had a work requirement and people went to work and went to school, and their lives got better. my ad would have been tougher than this ad in setting up the conditions you're looking for, but it would have been a 60-second ad, and i don't think we could have afforded it. >> i think you could have afforded it. but i want to come back to this. you were saying earlier -- and i want to clarify this. you do think the actual wording under obama's plan, you wouldn't have to work, you wouldn't have to train for a job, they just send you a welfare check, that is not factually correct.
4:08 am
>> we have no proof today, but i would say to you under obama's ideology it's absolutely true he would be comfortable sending a lot of people checks for doing nothing. i believe that totally. >> speaker gingrich, thank you for being on. i should point out that's an assumption we have no facts today, no proof today. let us know what you think. we're on facebook and twitter, also at insta gram. up next, the pro president obama ad made by a super pac supporting him.ki we'll talk to the people supporting that. i david gergen joins us to talk about the strategy behind both these commercials. why wouldn't you make that call? see, the only thing i can think of is that you can't get any... bars. ah, that's better. it's a beautiful view. i wonder if i can see mt. rushmore from here. geico. fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more on car insurance.
4:09 am
[ female announcer ] weak, damaged hair needs new aveeno nourish+ strengthen. active naturals wheat formulas restore strength for up to 90% less breakage in three washes. for strong, healthy hair with life, new aveeno nourish+ strengthen.
4:10 am
>> announcer: meet tom, a proud dad whose online friends all "like" the photos he's posting. oscar likes tom's photos, but he loves the access to tom's personal information. oscar's an identity thief who used tom's personal info to buy new teeth and a new car, and stuck tom with the $57,000 bill. [tires squeal] now meet carl who works from the coffee shop and uses the free wi-fi. marie works from there too. she's an identity thief who used a small device to grab his wi-fi signal, then stole enough personal information to hijack and drain his bank accounts. every year, millions of americans learn all it may take to devastate your life is a little personal information in the wrong hands. this is identity theft and no one helps stop it better than lifelock. lifelock offers the most comprehensive identity theft protection, period. ordinary credit monitoring services may take 30 days to alert you. lifelock's 24/7 proactive
4:11 am
protection would have alerted tom as soon as they noticed an attack within their network, before it was too late. and lifelock's bank account takeover alerts could have notified carl in time to help him protect his money. lifelock protects your social security number, money, credit, even the equity in your home. while identity theft can't be completely stopped, no one protects you better than lifelock, and lifelock stands behind that with the power of their $1 million service guarantee. you have so much to protect and nothing to lose when you call lifelock right now and try 60 days of identity theft protection risk-free. 60 days risk-free. use promo code: be secure order now and get this document shredder, a $29 value free. [♪...] call or go online now. [♪...]
4:12 am
keeping them honest tonight on the campaign trail. first a factually bogus romney ad. now a factually bogus obama super pac ad. it features a laid off steel worker named joe. >> when mitt romney and bain closed the plant, i lost my health care. and my family lost their health care. and a short time after that, my wife became ill. i don't know how long she was sick, and i think maybe she didn't say anything because she knew we couldn't afford the insurance. and then one day she became ill and i took her up to the jackson county hospital and admitted her for pneumonia, and that's when they found the cancer. by then it was stage 4. there was nothing they could do for her. she passed away in 22 days.
4:13 am
>> that's obviously a very sad story. keeping them honest, as heart wrenching as the loss of a job and the death of a spouse obviously is, virtually nothing else about the story fits the time line or the facts. mr. romney was on the books as being ceo of the of the company when the mill shut down in 2001, but he had left two years before to run the olympics. you could argue he still had a hand in running how the company was handled. but he said his ad became ill a short time after he lost his health care. it turns out it was five years after that, in 2006 that his wife unfortunately died. in addition, he said his wife actually had other health insurance. actually her primary insurance was from her own job and she still had that when he lost his health insurance. as with the romney ad, we talked about it before the break. the fact checkers are not smiling on this one either. "the washington post" giving this ad the same as romney's, four pinocchios, concluding, "on
4:14 am
just every level, this ad stretches the bounds of common sense and decency." white house press secretary jay carney saying, i shouldn't seen the ad. i speak for the president and his administration, and i defend his policies. president obama's campaign spokeswoman went farther than the white house spokesman saying we have no association with the ads done by this party. however, they should have some knowledge of joe and his family because they used him in one of their own ads earlier. >> i was a steel worker for 30 years. we had a reputation for quality products. it was something that was american made. we weren't rich, but i was able to put my daughter through college. >> that was joe soptic in an earlier ad for the obama 2012 campaign. this is a spokesperson for parties usa action. let's start now.
4:15 am
"the washington post" says about your ad, "on every level this stretches the bounds of common sense and decency." independent fact checkers have echoed that statement saying it's inaccurate. how can you imply that mitt romney and bain are so blame for this woman dying of cancer? >> we don't, and we would not. those fact checks presuppose that's exactly what we were trying to do, and that's not the point of the ad. the point of the ad is to tell the story of the impact mitt romney had on the lives of thousands of people. when he came to town, they lost their jobs, lost their health care, lost their pension benefits, and that impact is felt today in those communities. >> you spent -- you're a smart guy. you have a lot of smart ad people in the group you're working with. half the ad is him talking about his wife's demise, and it ends with him saying, i do not think mitt romney realizes what he's done to anyone. the implication is clearly that he is responsible or the actions that he took led to his wife's
4:16 am
death. >> you know, the story is a very sad one, and the truth is that there are thousands of stories that happened as a result of mitt romney and his time at bain, and some of them are really tragic. but just because they're really sad or tragic doesn't mean they should be off limits. we think it's important to tell the stories of these folks who are impacted by mitt romney. >> how is a woman dying -- i mean, she had health insurance from her job after this man lost his job, and then she got an injury years later and then lost her insurance. >> right. to say that presupposes that we're trying to link mitt romney with her tragedy. >> you are. you've made a commercial about mitt romney, and it's all about this woman's tragedy. if you're not trying to link it, why are you even talking about it? >> anderson, if we were making that point, that means that, if she hadn't had another job in the intervening time, if somehow
4:17 am
it had happened much sooner to when joe lost his job, that somehow mitt romney would be more responsible. that's not what we're saying. what we're saying is at a moment of true concern and anxiety in a family, when joe soptic really needed health insurance for his family, he didn't have it. that's the point here. he was promised health care benefits, and he lost that. >> you really claim -- you really want people to believe you're not trying to link in any way, even just subtly or not subtly that there's some linkage between mitt romney, bain capital, business decisions he made, and this woman's death. >> anderson, it would defy logic to do so. the point is even today, that community is completely worn down. the whole area, the factory is abandoned. people still don't have jobs in some cases. many of the folks still don't have health insurance. people that do have jobs are getting paid much less. and the point is mitt romney's business experience had a profound effect on the lives of
4:18 am
thousands of people, and that effect is still being felt. that's what this ad tells the story of. that's what all of our ads tell the story of. >> i don't want to go back and forth, but this ad tells a very specific story. more than half of the ad is him talking very detailed about his wife. >> it's a sad story. >> it is a sad story, but it also jumped over -- it trunkates time in a way that he got fired, she didn't have insurance from her other job. >> not at the time she got sick. she had health insurance for a very short time. >> because she lost her job. >> but ultimately, when joe soptic needed health insurance for his family, health insurance that had been promised to him by a contract mitt romney helped to negotiate, he didn't have the health insurance. >> because under bankruptcy protection, they were able to do away with the promises they had made. >> they were able to void the contract he had with workers. >> that's bankruptcy law.
4:19 am
>> they made plenty of money. those workers got screwed. >> you can make an ad about that. you're implying -- i think any rational or nonpartisan observers look at this and say you are linking this. otherwise, you would not put this in an ad. >> i think it's just the opposite. the rgsal thing to take away here is how on earth could you possibly imply that? we're saying at a moment of true anxiety. >> you made a 30-second spot about this. when you're saying how can you imply that, it's totally disingenuous. you know that. >> i don't think that's true. mitt romney had an effect on these people's lives. to talk about it, it's an important part of his story. he wants the american people to make a decision on whether or not he should be president based on his business experience, and his business experience, when people take a look at it, when they hear the stories of these folks, they say, i don't want that guy to be president of the united states. >> bill, i appreciate you coming on to talk about the ad. thanks, bill. >> thanks, anderson. >> let's talk to senior
4:20 am
political analyst david gergen for his take on what's in the ads and the strategy behind putting them out whether or not they're factual. what do you make of this, david? >> both sides are boiling mad tonight at the other because each one thinks the other has been dishonest in a very, very unfair way, and frankly, they're both right. >> you're saying they're both right. >> and it's very striking. this outside group can judge this. "the washington post" checks this very carefully, and they give pinocchios when they think something is wrong. they gave four pinocchios to both the obama team's ad and the romney camp's ad. >> they're saying there's no way we're even suggesting there's a linkage to this many would's death. >> of course not. i like bill burton and i respect him, but he's engaging in sophistry. the greeks used to say that, we
4:21 am
call it double speak now. the point of the ad is to say mitt romney was responsible for this woman's death because she did not have health insurance. if you look at the pattern, they've suggested heavily that mitt romney is a felon. they said he didn't pay taxes for ten years. now they're saying his business practices, he caused the death of a woman. on the other side, they're saying obama is the birther movement. he was born outside the united states, which is wrong. that he's a muslim, which is wrong. both sides, frankly, are playing dirty. >> in the romney campaign ad, they're saying -- which is a campaign ad, not a super pac ad. they're saying president obama is trying to gut welfare reform, that under his plan you wouldn't even have to work. you'll just be sent a check, which is factually not at all what they're proposing. it was interesting to hear newt gingrich tonight saying, well, we don't have any facts today. >> but in our heart we know. >> he's assuming this based on his perception. >> newt himself, when he was on here, he really basically said,
4:22 am
i wouldn't have written it this way, but we all know in our hearts what they really believe. they're closet socialists or whatever. >> does it matter? there's always factual inaccuracies in ads, and that's our job to point it out. do you think it matters? or do you think the fact that bill burton comes on or newt gingrich comes on and repeats it over and over again, does that help their cause, even though it may be factually incorrect, to just repeat the idea over and over again? >> i think it undermines confidence and sort of trust in the president as well as in romney to have these kind of campaigns. i think it ultimately is going to make it much more difficult for the winner to govern. they're not going to have the public support you need to govern well, and so much anger on the other side when this is all over, on the losing side. having said that, does it help? clearly, the obama people feel that having a campaign based on this -- this is a very different campaign than they conducted four years ago is helping them. if you look over the last few
4:23 am
weeks, this was a very close race. it was a one-point race three or four weeks ago, and president obama has now opened up a lead, especially in some of the battleground states. i think actually right now, generally speaking, is working in obama's favor. he's discrediting mitt romney in a way that people say, i don't like what president obama is doing, but i can't vote for romney. i guess i've got to vote for obama. in syria, all out war fare is not letting up. ben wedeman is on the ground and came very close to fire in a volatile neighborhood that syria is trying to take control of. for powerful allergy relief.® and zyrtec® is different than claritin® because it starts working faster on the first day you take it. zyrtec®. love the air. [ sneezes ] ♪ [ camera clicks ] ♪ it's hard to resist the craveable nature of a nature valley sweet & salty nut bar.
4:24 am
that's a good thing, but it doesn't cover everything. only about 80% of your part b medical expenses. the rest is up to you. so consider an aarp medicare supplement insurance plan,
4:25 am
insured by unitedhealthcare insurance company. like all standardized medicare supplement plans, they help save you up to thousands in out-of-pocket costs. call today to request a free decision guide. with these types of plans, you'll be able to visit any doctor or hospital that accepts medicare patients... plus, there are no networks, and you'll never need a referral to see a specialist. join the millions who have already enrolled in the only medicare supplement insurance plans endorsed by aarp... and provided by unitedhealthcare insurance company, which has over 30 years of experience behind it. with all the good years ahead, look for the experience and commitment to go the distance with you. call now to request your free decision guide. country music star randy travis is in trouble again with the law. he's facing a drunk driving
4:26 am
charge after police found him lying naked on a highway. sometimes, i feel like it's me against my hair. [ female announcer ] weak, damaged hair needs new aveeno nourish+ strengthen. active naturals wheat formulas restore strength for up to 90% less breakage in three washes. for strong, healthy hair with life, new aveeno nourish+ strengthen.
4:27 am
in syria, the battle for aleppo continues at a deadly cost.
4:28 am
30 people died today in aleppo alone. the sources for the free syrian army say the situation in aleppo is quiet now, while another source says syrian ground forces tried to enter a volatile neighborhood but were pushed back. want to check with cnn international correspondent ben wedeman, who is on the ground there and made it despite a lot of sniper fire. >> we made it in through a government controlled area and made it around the checkpoint. now we're inside. there are very few people actually here. there's some civilians walking around, but the biggest danger is snipers that are on buildings this direction, firing like this. so we had to sort of make a very roundabout route into this area. >> ben wedeman joins me now. what's the latest situation that you're hearing today? >> reporter: what we know is that the syrian army did attempt to get into the salahadin, which is a critical area right on the
4:29 am
highway between aleppo and damascus. according to sources in the free syrian army, about 200 foot soldiers came into that district, which is very crowded, very cramped. the roads are very narrow. they were backed up by syrian army tanks. however, we are told by the free syrian army that they were able to repulse this attempt to retake this critical neighborhood. this is really part of this long anticipated counteroffensive by the syrian government in aleppo. we saw over the last few days, as people were increasingly concerned that the syrian army would try to retake this critical city for the syrian government, but it appears that at this point they've been repulsed. of course, we know that the syrian army has been reinforcing its numbers and its weaponry around the city, and, of course, the very good possibility they're going to try again tomorrow to retake aleppo.
4:30 am
>> in the last month or two, opposition fighters have increased their use of roadside bombs, of ieds and bombs. i understand you've learned that they plan to use roadside bombs on syrian tanks that enter the city. >> reporter: yes, because that's where way of sort of evening out the equation. they're clearly outnumbered and rather outgunned in every possible way. they have the advantage, however, of familiarity with the territory. many of the fighters in salahadin come from that neighborhood. they know it like nobody else, and they're going to be using, we were told, these improvised explosive devices to try to disable the tanks and therefore really stop the syrian army in its tracks, so to speak. >> we saw, when you were in aleppo, that you actually came under government sniper fire as you entered one of the neighborhoods. what happened? >> reporter: we were coming into the salahadin neighborhood, which is really the front line in this battle.
4:31 am
unfortunately, we had a driver that hadn't been there in four days, even though he was completely confident, of course, of what he was doing. we went through a small intersection, and we heard the crack of several rounds very nearby. we screeched to a halt in front of a group of fsa fighters, and they said, are you crazy? don't you know there's a sniper there? just less than a minute later, a yellow aleppo taxi drove up, and in the front seat was a man who had just been shot by a sniper slumped over, completely bloodied by it. so, yes, it was a very dodgy entrance into aleppo. >> ben wedeman, my best to you and your crew. stay safe. thank you, ben. here at home, new details about the final moments of the deadly shooting at the sikh temple in oak creek, wisconsin. first let's check in with isha and the 360 bulletin. today police returned to the basement where the man charged
4:32 am
with murdering etan patz killed the boy. they retriggered the soimp of the former bodega. 6-year-old patz disappeared in 1979 while walking to his bus stop. his body was never found. floods in the philippines have now claimed 16 lives while forcing hundreds of thousands of people from their home. the capital manila has reported 34 inches of rain in 72 hours. here in the u.s., the july heat wave that killed crops and fueled wildfires set a record. the average temperature in the last month in the lower 48 states, more than three degrees higher than the record set in 1936. what's more, the first seven months of 2012 are the hottest since record keeping started in 1895. country music star randy travis has been released on bond after his arrest for driving while intoxicated and allegedly threatening to shoot and kill the state troopers working the case. texas authorities say travis was
4:33 am
found naked on a highway smelling of alcohol after a one-vehicle accident. anderson? new details about the mass shooting in oak creek, wisconsin. we'll have the investigation ahead. plus two very brave little kids being called heroes tonight. a brother and sister playing outside the temple. they saw the shooter with his weapon and ran inside and warned the others. uh-oh.
4:34 am
4:35 am
[ male announcer ] when diarrhea hits, kaopectate stops it fast. powerful liquid relief speeds to the source. fast. [ male announcer ] stop the uh-oh fast with kaopectate. egypts new government is facing its biggest test yet. why it's launching attacks on its own territory just across the border from israel. and deep wrinkles than professional treatments. roc® max for maximum results. ooo no. the hotel lost our reservation. nonsense! you book at travelocity,
4:36 am
your reservation's guaranteed. well, i did not book with travelocity, okay?!? [ female announcer ] get the travelocity guarantee any way you book, including our new app. you'll never roam alone.
4:37 am
welcome back. there's new information about the final moments of a shooting at the sikh temple in oak creek, wisconsin. the skin head who gunned down nine people, killing six, also may have killed himself after the officer's bullet hit him in the stomach. there's also information about his former girlfriend. her name is misty cook. she was arrested sunday.
4:38 am
what do we know about her? >> reporter: she was arrested, anderson, for illegal gun possession. the fbi wants to be very clear that arrest has nothing to do with their investigation about the temple shooting. they say they interviewed her, and she has been very cooperative, and at this point they don't believe she knew anything about it or could have predicted it would happen. she's still under investigation, but at this point she's basically in the clear. we are learning a lot about her, and like her boyfriend, she seems to be knee deep in this white supremacy world. the anti-defamation league provided some photos for us and a few internet postings they attribute to her. in those photos, you see her wearing a t-shirt. the adl says it has a racist group. it's clearly her wearing it. in a group, she's at a table with friends. she has her middle finger up. but at the end of the table is a guy giving a nazi salute. clearly, she seemed to be knee
4:39 am
deep in the same world that her boyfriend, wade page, was in. >> i was surprised to hear today that authorities now say this man actually shot himself after being shot in the stomach. what are they saying about the chain of events leading up to him taking his own life? >> reporter: basically, what they're saying is they've been able to analyze dash cam video from the squad car of the second officer that pulled up. the first officer came up, was ambushed, was shot by page. the second officer, according to this video, shows that he shot page in the stomach area. page then drops to the ground in the parking lot outside the temple. and on the video, they say they can see page then raise his gun to his head and shoot himself in the head. therefore, giving himself the fatal wound. they say they're not sure if the officer's shot would have killed him or not, but clearly, he did technically take his own life. >> in terms of the investigation, where is that? >> reporter: they say they are
4:40 am
actively pursuing more than 100 leads worldwide. they have issued out 180 subpoenas talking to people in his past, around the united states, even around the world. they didn't want to get specific as to where around the world they are issuing subpoenas, talking to people and pursuing leads. they say at this point, nothing, nobody, nothing has directed their attention in terms of being involved in this. they say the only person involved at this point is wade page, and they have no other evidence that anyone else was involved. >> ted, appreciate the reporting. thanks very much for being on the scene. the death rate in oak creek could have been worse. inside the temple, food was being prepared for a communal meal. outside, a 9-year-old child named amanat singh was playing with her 11-year-old brother abhay. their parents had gone to the store to buy supplies. the two kids saw the gunman approach and saw the gunman begin to shoot. incredibly terrifying, you can imagine. tonight they are being called
4:41 am
heroes. earlier, i speak to them. abhay, what do you remember about sunday morning at the temple? >> i remember my parents had to go get some paper plates and told us not to go outside. but it was actually really warm inside. so me and my sister, we went outside, and we found some crates, and we sat on that. and then all of a sudden, we found this purple taxi or four-door sedan. a white man had come out, and he -- for a second, me and my sister thought, yeah, maybe he needed directions or he needed help. but then when he was halfway there, he got both of his pistols, and he just started shooting randomly. first shot, we thought it was like a firework, but then when me and my sister looked at him,
4:42 am
then we noticed he was shooting those two people. and then we ran as fast as we could inside to warn everybody in the kitchen and everywhere else, just to warn everybody there's a man outside with a gun. >> were you scared? >> we were a little bit scared. >> yeah, i can imagine. amanat, how about you? you were celebrating your 9th birthday. happy birthday, by the way. when you realized someone was doing something bad and hurt people, what did you think? >> i felt kind of bad. >> yeah. and you guys hid inside a pantry, and you were very quiet. what happened while you were in there? >> well, some of the people left the gas on, and all of a sudden, the door was shut, and the smoke was coming in, and it was really hot. >> oh, my gosh, i bet. and, kahn, i know you were gone
4:43 am
to the store when this shooting occurred. i can't imagine how it was to be separated from your kids when all this went on. >> we were horrified. my husband and i were outside, and they were stuck inside. at that time, we couldn't think what's going to happen next because they were stuck inside. we were worried, and we were praying like hopefully we're going to see them again. they were so great there with us. >> you must be very proud of your kids to have the presence of mind to try to run in and warn the adults. >> yes, we are. we are proud, like they are safe and they used their presence of mind. they went inside, and they warned people, like there is somebody with a gun outside. they should be hiding anywhere, wherever they can. >> abhay, i know a lot of people consider you and your sister to be heroes. what do you think of that? >> i think of that, i feel
4:44 am
really proud of me and my sister, that we didn't run off anywhere, and we could have got -- everybody could have gotten killed, same as us too. but instead, we went inside and warned everybody in the kitchen and wherever we saw. >> i understand that your name, abhay, means fearless. that seems pretty appropriate, doesn't it? >> yes. yes, it does. thank you. >> amanat, do you feel like a hero? >> yeah, i feel like a hero. >> yeah? i think you are too, both you and your brother. thank you so much for talking to us. i'm glad you're both okay. just keep doing what you're doing. it's great that his name means fearless. still ahead tonight, this may be a real eye opener. the federal government is being asked to loosen its cell phone radiation standards by 20%.
4:45 am
trying to find out what that means and what impact it may have on all of us. sometimes, i feel like it's me against my hair. [ female announcer ] weak, damaged hair needs new aveeno nourish+ strengthen. active naturals wheat formulas restore strength for up to 90% less breakage in three washes. for strong, healthy hair with life, new aveeno nourish+ strengthen.
4:46 am
morning because my back hurt so bad. the sleep number bed conforms to you. i wake up in the morning with no back pain. i can adjust it if i need to...if my back's a little more sore. and by the time i get up in the morning, i feel great! if you have back pain, toss and turn at night or wake up tired with no energy, the sleep number bed could be your solution. the sleep number bed's secret is it's air chambers which provide ideal support and put you in control of the firmness. and the bed is perfect for couples because each side adjusts independently to their unique sleep number. here's what clinical research has found: 93% of participants experienced back-pain relief. 90% reported reduced aches and pains. 87% fell asleep faster and enjoyed more deep sleep. for study summaries, call this number now. we'll include a free dvd and brochure about the sleep number bed including prices, and models plus a free $50 savings card. and how about this?
4:47 am
steel springs can cause uncomfortable pressure points. but the sleep number bed contours to your body. imagine how good you'll feel when your muscles relax and you fall into a deep sleep! i'm not just a back surgeon, i'm also a back patient. i sleep on the sleep number bed myself and i highly recommend it to all of my patients. need another reason to call? the sleep number bed costs about the same as an innerspring but las twice as long. so if you want to sleep better or find relief for your bad back, call now. call the number on your screen for your free information kit with dvd, brochure and price list. call right now and you'll also receive a $50 savings card just for inquiring about the sleep number bed. ask about our risk-free 30-night in-home trial. call now for your free information kit and a free $50 savings card. call now!
4:48 am
egypt launches air strikes and employs ground forces in the sinai in response to several attacks by masked militants at the military checkpoint with israel. it's the first test for egypt's new government. and a power transfer. the general national congress is now in control after the country's transitional council
4:49 am
handed over power today. it's the first peaceful government transition in libya since before moammar gadhafi seized power in 1969. a 23-year-old christian college student is planning a rally in support of the mosque that burned down this week in joplin, missouri. it will take place next month. meanwhile, investigators are trying to find out what sparked the blaze. it was the second fire at the mosque this summer. the government accountability office is urging the fcc to revise its 16-year-old cell phone radiation standards. the agency says the current radio frequency limits and testing requirements for mobile phones set in 1996 may not reflect the latest research. anderson, secretary of state hillary clinton had some major fun on her visit to south africa. look at her tear up the dance floor during a dinner hosted by the country's foreign minister. oh, yeah. look at her bust those moves. >> takes guts to dance on tv, something i would never do. >> what do you mean? >> i would never dance on tv.
4:50 am
>> no? >> is that how you dance really? >> really? you got other moves? >> i don't know. >> i guess not. so what? >> what is that? >> i'm just saying. >> i haven't seen you dance at the 360 party, not that we have parties really. >> don't share our secrets with the public. they don't need to know. >> yes. >> all you need to do is -- no? >> no. >> okay fine. proof why it pays to have a pet in the family. check out this special caught on tape, a little boy and his dog. >> that is awesome. >> i love that. >> they're happy. >> more to being a dog than taking walks, giving baths, and cleaning up messes. kind of a you scratch my back, and i'll scratch yours. very cute.
4:51 am
i like dogs. coming up, a guy tries to pull a fast one at a fast food restaurant and runs into a little bit of trouble. day or night. use your computer, your smartphone, your tablet, whatever. the point is, you have options. oh, how convenient. hey. crab cakes, what are you looking at? geico. fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more on car insurance.
4:52 am
4:53 am
ooo no. the hotel lost our reservation. nonsense! you book at travelocity, your reservation's guaranteed. well, i did not book with travelocity, okay?!? [ female announcer ] get the travelocity guarantee any way you book, including our new app. you'll never roam alone.
4:54 am
time for the ridiculist. tonight we're adding a group of people we're calling the real life hamburglars. people who go to great lengths to get a taste of that sweet, sweet mcdonald's, and i do like mcdonald's. you remember the hamburglar in
4:55 am
the commercials from the '70s and '80s. if you have colorphobia, look it up. >> the hamburglar is very clever and very sneaky. >> the hamburglar. >> and he loves taking mcdonald's hamburgers. >> creepy yet dlirgs. the first stop on the hamburglar train is evansville, indiana, where this guy was caught on tape at 2:30 in the morning. the glass doors of mcdonald's smashed with a rock, and here he is trying to liberate a cash register from the counter. he seems to be having trouble, can't get the thing loose, so he gives up on the register and steals about $5 worth of yogurt parfaits from the refrigerator and high tails it out of there. i do like the yogurt parfaits as well. so police officers were you'ding the surveillance tapes. one of them thinks he recognizes the guy. and what do you know? the suspect walks right by the store. >> he still had glass from when
4:56 am
he had broken the door to get on him. >> i guess he was returning to the scene of the crime because he forgot a spoon maybe. you would think he'd brush the glass off first. officers arrested him with charges of burglary, theft, and criminal mischief. >> if you're going to get the charge for breaking in, you might as well get something out of it. we've seen a little of everything. it's a crime, but it's kind of amusing for the officers involved. >> personally, i like the fruit and walnut salads. they're also very good. our next real life alleged hamburglar hails from the great state of pennsylvania. this guy says it's all a misunderstanding, but he's cited on a misdemeanor charge of impersonating a public servant. he repeatedly went to mcdonald's on route 50 and demanded free hamburgers. >> he wanted them to believe he was a police officer and on duty so he could get free food. kind of ridiculous. >> the guy says he never pretended to be a police officer, that he was just, quote, teasing. i think the bigger issue, do police officers really get free food at mcdonald's? i think it might be time to
4:57 am
consider a career change. i like journalism and all, but it doesn't come with free big macs. the one thing about these two alleged hamburglars is they didn't physically assault anyone. unlike this woman at a drive thru in ohio, we call her honey mustard because she became enraged that she couldn't get chicken mcnuggets because it was still time for breakfast. she could have gotten pancakes, but i guess she was in the mood for something assaultee. thank you. try the veal. they don't serve veal at mcdonald's. i understand the unique allure of mcdonald's. there's i'm loving it, and then there's i'm loving it too much and i'm willing to commit a crime for it. price spike at the pumps.
4:58 am
a fire at a major refinery expected to burn gas customer across the country. a shake-up at the nation's top breast cancer foundation out. and hottest in history, you felt it, folks. now scientists are saying it. july was one for the record books. good morning and welcome to early start, i'm poppy harlow, in for john berman. >> and i'm zoraida sambolin. let's get started here up first, the california fire that's about to burn a hole in millions of wallets. this was the scene monday at chevron's richmond, california oil refinery. a huge toxic blaze partially shutting down production at one of the region's biggest gas suppliers. not a good time for that to happen, it's expected to send the pump prices skyrocketing on the west coast and beyond. ed levandera is live in dallas, texas. it's not just about gas prices, it's about people and health concerns in that area, as well,
4:59 am
right? >> reporter: there's no question, people there who have been up close with the refinery fire that started on monday, and is still not quite back up to full production. have been dealing with the effects of that. but if you're like me, you've noticed over the last few weeks already, as you pull into the gas station, hey, something is not quite right. but that's because the national average of gasoline prices has risen to $3.63 a gallon, up almost 30 cents in the last five weeks. so quite a jump here that we've seen. and several analysts that we've been talking to say they expect that to continue to climb. so the question is, at what point will it stop. and what's causing all of ths. of course that's a very complicated matter when it comes to issues of gas prices. a lot of factors in this. what we've seen over the last few weeks is a series of disruptions at refineries, not only in california, but across the country from the midwest to oklahoma. but obviously most significantly this week is the massive fire in richmond, california

113 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on